Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chanukah Chic made Cheap!

If you're like me, you like really nice things for a really low price. Basically, I blame it on my mother. She was by far the classiest and most resourceful woman I've known! Chanukah is one of those holidays that I think should just be "done right." When I go shopping for Chanukah decorations, it is almost impossible to find anything that doesn't look like it fell out of a "mitzvah truck." I am not interested in dancing dreidels or rabbis, I just want something classy! And, cheap, don't forget that part!

So, after searching all over Pinterest I came up with this idea in my head. I wanted silver chargers, my white everyday IKEA plates,  cobalt blue salad plates and bowls, and blue wine goblets as a Chanukah table setting. I had searched high and low to look for the elements I had in my head.

Finally, it all came together! My sweet friend found blue wine goblets at the Dollar Tree or Dollar General. Then, I went in there myself and was pleasantly surprised by the silver studded chargers that were being displayed on an end cap.  Then, while I was out on a date with my ten year old son, we came across an inexpensive cobalt blue 12 piece dinnerware set at Walmart for just $14.97.
The result... a classy and elegant Chanukah tablescape.  

 I had some dear friends over for a Shabbat dinner the night before Chanukah, and decided to give it a whirl, even though at the time, I hadn't found the cobalt blue plates yet. The lovely blue and silver napkins were embroidered by my dear Mom in law. They helped to bring and ever so Jewish feel to an already obvious Chanukah color scheme. ;)


Here's a snapshot from tonight's dinner. That's my two year old snatching broccoli and cheese with her fingers. I know, I know, I am working on those manners! And just because I know someone will ask me what the main course was (which is not featured in the pics), it was salmon! Very, very good salmon!


Here's a look at an individual place setting. I served warm cinnamon pear cider with dinner. It gave the blue glasses a brownish color in the pictures, but in real life you could still tell that the wine goblet was very blue. :)

Here's one more shot. See? Simple, easy, elegant, and super duper inexpensive! If you don't have plain white plates, you can also purchase some at the Dollar Tree. The whole Chanukah place setting will only cost you $4 per person.

A total CAN DO! Happy decorating and chag sameach. :)

No comments: