Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Candyce's Morocan Carrot Salad


 Let me just start off by saying, I never thought I could enjoy carrots so much! Combined with the right herbs and spices- this homely, inexpensive, overlooked root vegetable can become incredibly tantalizing, filling your mouth with flavor and your body with energy. Right now I am on a 40 Day Daniel Fast. I'm eating tons of fresh produce, legumes, rice, good oils, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and drinking LOTS of water! I've included minimal amounts of fish and eggs in case I feel desperately low in the protein department. So far, I've had 2 eggs. ;) I have thoroughly enjoyed this fast and have experienced more energy than I have in a quite a while. 

As you know, I love to cook and entertain, and sometimes thoughts of the Daniel Fast makes me feel "blah" about cooking. Until THIS fast. I have taken it as an opportunity to rise above my "blah" ideas and have embraced the endless creativity that is present within the vegan world. 

Last night I was laying in bed thinking, "What could I do with carrots?" My mom used to make a yummy carrot salad when I was a little girl, but I wanted something lighter, and more exotic. Then came the idea. "A moroccan carrot salad!" I know it's not my original idea. I've heard of this before, but I had never made it. So, I took the opportunity to invent a recipe I know my family would love. This morning, when I put my ideas into motion, my kids stared at me as I shredded 16 carrots in the food processor. They looked on with disgust as I mixed nuts, raisins and herbs together until the final product was complete. With one hesitant bite, each child's face transformed from bewilderment to sheer delight! They couldn't get enough. That's when I knew I had a winner! :)

This recipe is perfect for family picnics, parties, Oneg, large Shabbat dinners, or just for the family. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
  
Ingredients:
16 large carrots  (shredded in a food processor) 
1 cup of golden raisins
1 cup of raisins
1 cup of cashews
1 cup of slivered almonds
1 ½ cups of pine nuts
2 bunches of cilantro chopped
1/3 cup freshly chopped mint


Dressing:
½ cup apple cider vinegar    
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons of honey
3 tablespoons of crysalized ginger
juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne (optional)
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons of kosher salt

 



No comments: