Monday, September 9, 2013

Warm German Potato Salad



Being that we have entered the month of September, and had a cold front in Phoenix today, (with the high of 90* F), combined with grey rainy skies- I had to do something to celebrate! ;) I was scrolling through facebook with a delicious cup of earl grey tea in hand, when I came across some random advertisement picture of potatoes with bacon. That's all it took to inspire me. Hmmmm...

Within 5 seconds I had an urge to make a warm German potato salad. I had never made one before, but hey, there's always a first time, and it could turn out to be a hit. I looked around my kitchen, gathered ingredients in my mind, and gave it a whirl. Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
12 medium sized white potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks
2 packages of turkey bacon
1 big bunch of garden fresh dill
1/2 red onion, minced
1 small bunch of green onions (chives)


Dressing:
1 cup of organic mayonaise
1 cup of greek yogurt
4 tbspns of dijon or whole grain mustard
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
pinch of kosher salt
2 pinches of freshly ground black pepper
10 cloves of garlic

Directions
1. First, I brought a big pot of water up to a boil. While that was heating, I cut up my potatoes into big nice size chunks. I got about 16 pieces from each potato. After the water was boiling, I placed all the potato chunks in at the same time and set the timer for 20 mins.
2.  Then I chopped up 2 packages of turkey bacon and cooked it on medium low heat, stirring occasionally until they were all browned and crunchy.
3. While the potatoes and turkey bacon were going, I chopped up a big bunch of fresh dill, minced half of a crunchy sweet red onion, and diced up a small bunch of green onions (chives).
4. After the potatoes boiled, I drained them and set them aside while I made the dressing. Make sure to test your potatoes about 15 mins in. You don't want them to be falling apart. You want them soft, but still in tact, holding a nice shape.
5. For the dressing:
Place all of the ingredients in a really good blender ( I use blendtech) and give it a whirl. That's it! Give it a taste and adjust it to however you want it. :) Don't make it too salty. Remember you have the salt of the turkey bacon.
6. Combine the potatoes, enough dressing to lightly coat the potatoes, and half of the fresh dill, half of the turkey bacon, and all of the minced red onion and green onions. Save the rest of the sauce for something else. You could use it for a number of things, like pouring it over chicken and baking it, or using it to make another batch. Depending on how you " lightly coat" the potatoes will depend on how much you have left over. :)
7. Finish the presentation by laying the remainder of the dill down the center of the warm potato salad, followed by the remainder of that hot crunchy turkey bacon.

That's it folks. It serves 12-14 and is perfect for an entire meal. You could serve it individually on a bed of baby spinach, with a nice glass of hibiscus lemonade (that's what I did). ;)  If you want a little more twang, you could also add some capers. Have fun, make it your own and enjoy fall! :)

P.S. It's good! Really good!




No comments: